Check in/out Hotel Check-in Time is 12 PM, Check-out Time is 12 PM.
Cancellation Policy Cancellation and prepayment policies vary according to room type. Please check the Fare policy associated with your room.
Extra Bed The inclusion of extra bed with a booking is facilitated with a folding cot or a mattress as an extra bed.
Payment Mode You can pay now or you can pay at the hotel if your selected room type has this option.
User rating & reviews
Read about experiences of fellow travellers who have stayed at this hotel.
EXCELLENT 1472 reviews
VERY GOOD 646 reviews
AVERAGE 243 reviews
POOR 80 reviews
TERRIBLE 54 reviews
David Michael S
25 May 2018
Disappointing Sofitel (again)
My wife and I did an overnight trip from the house we're staying in Avignon to Marseille. After reading Trip Advisor reviews, we booked a suite at the Sfitel in the old port area of Marseille for ~Eur1000 or about the sqme one would pay to stay at an Aman Resorts property.
There were a fe very good things but the balance over just a one night stay was that we'd not recommend this to nayone who is used to paying top dollar but also receiving top service, this is just top dollar, not top service.
what went well:
1. Gorgeous view from our bedroom and living room over the old port. Reall nice as you can see from photo.
Unusually, we had windows that opened so we enjoy the breeze and sounds of the city too
2. We were keen to have drinks at the rooftop bar and went there right when it opened at 5pm. Wehad a pleasant time - seated one floor up from our room with same view, pretty good and friendly service with very jolly barman. The lady server even helped us with some touristy questions we had.
3. Though small, well equipped and quiet gym open 24/7 with plemty of natural light.
4. Room service was prompt and food was OK, nothing special but not bad.
what could be improved (as I have already shares with the GM Paul Barthe to give him the opportunity to address)
1. When we arrived ro checkin, although there were three ladies behind the counter, none of them checked us in. The one who noticed us seemed to be a trainee and gestured to the lady in the middle who was too busy talking with her collegaue to help me.
2. I left the reception to pick up somehting from our car parked in the extremely tightly packed garage under the hotel and by the time I returned, tne staff was ale to pay some attention to a customer. After checking us in though, the lady asked us to wiat so someone from Guest Relations could escort us to our room.I asked for the key and explained after wiating omce for the staff, I wasnt interste din waiting yet again.
3. About an hour after we checked in, a large man on staff cam einto our room. No knock. No shouted 'is anyone here?' He just barged into the room. He was bringng us champagne and some sweet snacks. Appreciate the thought, not so sure barging into guests rooms is the way to go though.
4. Soon discovered we were given two room keys but one didnt work
5. Although BBC Wold listed as channel on both the TV in the living room and the TV in the bedroom, it was inaccesible on both TVs
6. Prior to checking in, my assistant had emailed a document for me to sign. She had received confirmation from a man on stfaf that it would be printed and handed to me upon checkin. It wasnt. Nor was it delivreed to my room overnight. When I gave my assistant the feedbcak that I was still waiting for the document, she agian contacted the hotel and was told by the lasy at reception that she couldnt access the email until after 0900. Now the document did show up when J came back from gym about 0800ish so remain unclear about this lapse of service.
7. I emailed and sent a message to the hotel GM Paul Barthe while I was working out in the gym. I did receive a response but it was underwhelming, asking more details about when the email was sent. Not what I would call attention to cutsomer service. I know if I wasted Even more of my clients' time than I alreday had by asking them to help me solve poor service problems, they would quite correctly tell me to get stuffed!
Over the years, we've had some pretty good experiences at Sofitels, e.g., Manila, Fes in Morocco, St James in London, but recently have had two very poor experiences at the Sofitel in Auckland that resulted in the GM discounting our group's stay by AUD$5000 and now again a poor experience in Marseille. One wonders whether Sofitel sr mgt has lost the plot?
Lesson learned for me is to avoid Sofitel's for a while and discount the positive reviews I read. Perhaps they are from people who have low service expectations?
Photos of non working TV in gym and suite and views from our room (619) and the Dantes rooftop bar
14 May 2018
Nowhere near 5 stars
If this hotel has 5 stars, my garden shed has 7 stars.
Decor in the room is boring, tired and unimaginative. Scratches all over the walls and ceilings, damaged furniture, only single curtains, a "desk" that's only 30cm wide (doesn't even fit my laptop). It's a shambles, and should not rate higher than 3 stars, most of the staff barely speaks English.
Do yourself a favour and stay elsewhere.
Solo travel Traveller
12 May 2018
Simply amazing- best service!!....
I stayed at this tastefully, beautiful hotel for 1 evening in May 2018. Upon arrival the concierge was able to assist me with a laptop charger that was particularly difficult to find as the pin plug is a South African spec. The room was avail on time. I received a map which I used to acquaint myself quickly Breakfast was amazing! Lots on offer if you are vegetarian or vegan. Be sure to make the chef aware that you are. I will return if I get the opportunity to go back to Marseille.
03 May 2018
Outstanding Stay at a Standout....
Had a marvelous stay at the Sofitel. Our rooms were large, luxurious and each one had a balcony overlooking the port that was big enough to qualify as a terrace. Everyone we encountered from check-in to check-out was marvelous. Breakfast was the most impressive buffet we experienced in our almost three weeks worth of hotel breakfasts in Europe and the view was so gorgeous we sneaked in an after lunch snack just so that we could enjoy it again. Fabulous stay.
01 May 2018
We had the pleasure of staying at this hotel for 4 nights last week and every moment from check in to checkout was pleasurable. The hotel is perched on a hill overlooking the Vieux Port and the views are spectacular. Our room was very comfortable - excellent size, very comfy bed, very clean and amazing views from our window. Every night our room was prepared for sleeping and the room fairy would leave the Bose player on playing classical music and a sweet on the pillow for each of us.
Each morning was a pleasure breakfasting in the dining room or balcony overlooking the marina and Vieux Port. The breakfasts were amazing with a wide range of foods from fresh fruits, cold meats, fresh yoghurt, a good range of cheeses, breads and pastries to warm dishes such as sausage, scrambled egg and bacon. We were extremely well looked after by Xavier who tended to our needs and provided handy suggestions about places to see. He is one of the best waiters I’ve experienced.
The other pleasurable place was the balcony off reception where guests would gather late afternoon for pre dinner drinks. Again, the waiters were excellent, making our stay a special experience.
The hotel is a 10 minute ride to the Marseille station so is well located.
Well done Sofitel Marseille