Property Location With a stay at Gubei Garden Hotel - Shanghai in Shanghai (Changning), you'll be within a 15-minute drive of L'Avenue
Property Location With a stay at Gubei Garden Hotel - Shanghai in Shanghai (Changning), you'll be within a 15-minute drive of L'Avenue and Legoland Discovery Center. This 4-star hotel is 4.2 mi (6.7 km) from Jing'an Temple and 7.1 mi (11.4 km) from The Bund.
Rooms Make yourself at home in one of the 191 guestrooms. Cable television is provided for your entertainment.
Amenities Take advantage of recreation opportunities including a sauna and a fitness center. Additional amenities at this hotel include complimentary wireless Internet access, an arcade/game room, and a hair salon.
Check in/out Hotel Check-in Time is 2 PM, Check-out Time is 11 AM.
Cancellation Policy Cancellation and prepayment policies vary according to room type. Please check the Fare policy associated with your room.
Extra Bed The inclusion of extra bed with a booking is facilitated with a folding cot or a mattress as an extra bed.
Payment Mode You can pay now or you can pay at the hotel if your selected room type has this option.
User rating & reviews
Read about experiences of fellow travellers who have stayed at this hotel.
EXCELLENT 12 reviews
VERY GOOD 53 reviews
AVERAGE 35 reviews
POOR 10 reviews
TERRIBLE 1 reviews
05 Oct 2017
Get what you pay for.
We hired two rooms at roughly $91 per night for a family of 4. Thankfully they put us in two rooms next to each other.
Hotels old and could do with an update. There is a smell on most floors that I associate with old carpet.
Breakfast bar not too bad, although they seem to believe frying an egg is the same as poaching? Full Asian buffet if you like that. The bacon i think was steamed, fried eggs cold, coffee from some outdated grind & express plastic job that the powdered milk just reassures you McDonalds next door is probably the go and cheaper than the ¥45.
They said satellite TV, not sure really, about 30 odd channels but only 3 in English and there all CNN news.
Reception speaks English & attended to any needs we tasked them with.
The saving grace for this relic though is its location to both public transport (Yili Rd Train Station, Line 10) & Takashimaya (Japanese Shopping Mall). Both situated within 100 meters of the hotel allows for easy navigation to anywhere in the city. In the basement of the Shopping Centre is a well stocked grocery market with several fast food outlets & resturaunts scattered through out the floors. I will add there is also a Starbucks & McDonalds between the railway station and the shopping centre too.
Would we stay here again? Yes but only fir a night or two if in Shanghai for the easy access to transport & the abillity to order out quickly.
01 Nov 2016
the hotel is clean, they also lend an umbrella.
if you lost the umbrella, you have to pay for it.
unless the plastic umbrella.
near the hotel, there's an mrt station with shopping area.
for the other side, there's a 24 hours mini market, to buy mineral water or snacks for staying at the hotel.
29 Jul 2016
Had one day stay for my business trip. The location is good next to Takashimaya. Basic hotel, the room is clean but rather dark. The hotel standard is not up to 4 star hotel. To me, it is just 3 star hotel instead.
19 Apr 2016
Would not stay there again
Although there are hints, why this hotel could be a 4 star hotel, the overall performance of the hotel is low. Slow and not really friendly check in, no non-smoking rooms, the air-con does not really circulate air, the rooms are rather dark, lack of electrical plugs at the desk, ... And on the floor one wall wasn't even finished. There's better stuff for this price.
04 Jan 2016
Convenient location but that's....
Was here for a business trip back in September 2015 and stayed for 4 nights.
- Basic, spacious room, seemingly clean, large bed
- Clean lobby area
- Conveniently located next to Yili Road Metro station on Line 10 and restaurants in Takashimaya (as another review pointed out, it's better for food rather than shopping)
- Being a small hotel, wait times for the 4 lifts aren't too long
- Toilet bidet available (but not in all rooms as it wasn't in my second room, I changed rooms as a colleague was joining) - all photos are taken from the first room
- Free wifi, connection speed was sufficient during my stay
- Easy to catch taxis whether on the street or booking via the reception
- Uber can be used in Shanghai however don't expect English speaking drivers (reception will be happy to help translate)
- Hotel employees were generally ok in terms of attitude, not overly friendly but still professional.
- Unless you have a VPN (Virtual Private Network), not being able to use anything Google was a real pain (e.g. maps, gmail etc), one must use Baidu maps (the local equivalent to get around)
- Not that close to the city / Bund area so be prepared to take a taxi / Metro
- Metro stops running at 10:30-11pm (best to check depending on the day)
- As not all hotel staff were fluent, it seems that English speaking guests might struggle. However, I did not have any language issues as a Mandarin speaker
- Mainly Japanese and Korean restaurants in the area so don't expect much local Chinese/Shanghainese food
- My first room safe couldn't lock (to be fair, all it needed was a change of batteries)
- Lack of international channels available (e.g. no BBC / CNN from memory)
- Rooms were a bit dim in places
- Very basic ground floor cafe
In summary, it's not part of a large international star hotel chain so best to keep expectations in check. It is definitely sufficient considering we had to attend a fair at Shanghai Mart, which was opposite the hotel. If I was to go to Shanghai again, I wouldn't mind staying at this hotel again however based on certain reviews, this hotel is sufficient for someone who is not too fussy.